What is Yeoman?
Yeoman is a scaffolding tool that helps you to kickstart new projects using best practices. It creates the project hierarchy & the basic files required for many projects using technology specific generators.
e.g. Yeoman provides a generator for angular project called as generator-angular
Node has to be installed to progress.
Steps to get started with Yeoman
1) Steps to setup dev env
Install yo & its dependencies using the below command
npm install –global yo bower grunt-cli
If you see issues related to permission please execute the command with sudo privileges.
2) Check if everything is installed properly. If everything is fine, the versions of yo, bower & grunt should be displayed
yo –-version && bower –-version && grunt –-version
3) Install a Yeoman Generator for Angular. Note that there are many generators which you can use yeoman for
sudo npm install -g generator-angular
4) Make a new directory (say demoYeoman)
5) Goto the newly created directory (demoYeoman in our case)
6) Hit the ‘yo’ command by selecting ‘Run the Angular Generator’. At this step yo will ask for configuring your project. Select the defaults.Yeoman will automatically scaffold your app along with the necessary dependencies
7) Check the project structure generated
8) Start the server. In mac, python is installed by default which provides a simple http server. Start that server using the below command
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 9999
9) Check your application. Run the below command
If any point you get errors related to karma, hit the following 2 commands-
sudo npm install grunt-karma –save-dev
npm install karma-phantomjs-launcher –save-dev