Recently I worked on some of the HackerRank problems. Here is the github link to the solutions in Java.
How to install Elasticsearch?
1. Download the latest version of ElasticSearch from their site
- Unzip the elasticsearch-1.6.0.zip to a suitable folder
- Goto / bin
- Run ./elasticsearch
Verify the installation
By default ElasticSearch runs on port 9200. Use postman to verify that you can get response back
The complete tutorial can be downloaded from How to install ElasticSearch
Today I attempted a long pending dream of making a solar cooker from household items.
Items needed are
- a shoe box
- black color paint
- aluminium foil (you can use the one from kitchen)
- a transparent plastic
- some cardboard pieces
1) Paint the bottom (inner side) of the shoe box with the black color. This will help in retaining the sun rays in the box
2) Cut 4 cardboard pieces such that they can fit inside the box and act as 4 walls. Now cover these with aluminium foil
3) Take a cardboard piece & draw out a rectangular window leaving approximately 2.5 cms width from all the edges of the cardboard. Now cut this rectangular piece & cover the remaining piece with the transparent plastic. This will act as a lid.
4) Cover the top (inner side) of the box with aluminium foil. This will help in directing the sun rays in the box.
Done. Your solar cooker is ready. This will take approximately 50 mins to make.
I tried out maggi & it turned our pretty well. Though it did not cook in 2 mins, I was happy to see it cook in about 15 mins
Courtesy : C.L. Moffatt
What is Yeoman?
Yeoman is a scaffolding tool that helps you to kickstart new projects using best practices. It creates the project hierarchy & the basic files required for many projects using technology specific generators.
e.g. Yeoman provides a generator for angular project called as generator-angular
Node has to be installed to progress.
Steps to get started with Yeoman
1) Steps to setup dev env
Install yo & its dependencies using the below command
npm install –global yo bower grunt-cli
If you see issues related to permission please execute the command with sudo privileges.
2) Check if everything is installed properly. If everything is fine, the versions of yo, bower & grunt should be displayed
yo –-version && bower –-version && grunt –-version
3) Install a Yeoman Generator for Angular. Note that there are many generators which you can use yeoman for
sudo npm install -g generator-angular
4) Make a new directory (say demoYeoman)
5) Goto the newly created directory (demoYeoman in our case)
6) Hit the ‘yo’ command by selecting ‘Run the Angular Generator’. At this step yo will ask for configuring your project. Select the defaults.Yeoman will automatically scaffold your app along with the necessary dependencies
7) Check the project structure generated
8) Start the server. In mac, python is installed by default which provides a simple http server. Start that server using the below command
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 9999
9) Check your application. Run the below command
If any point you get errors related to karma, hit the following 2 commands-
sudo npm install grunt-karma –save-dev
npm install karma-phantomjs-launcher –save-dev
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2014 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 10,000 times in 2014. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 4 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.
Removing Cygwin from your windows machine can become quite a task at times. Here is the 3 step process which I followed to uninstall Cygwin
On the Command prompt type following commands in order –
1) C:\>takeown /r /d y /f cygwin
Read this command properly; It is takeown & not takedown.
2) icacls cygwin /t /grant Everyone:F
3) rmdir /s /q cygwin